Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Toxicology leads you to a healthy life

Before I discuss and state some experiences about toxicity let me discuss first what toxicology means. Toxicology is simply the study of substances that are introduced exogenously inside the body. These exogenous substances may be medicines that we regularly take up for the therapeutic benefit of our own body that may often become deleterious if the intake is abused or not monitored well.

For easier understanding, let’s use some words that can be attributed with toxicology that is more familiar and often used or heard. These includes poisoning, prohibited drugs and carcinogenic.

Poison=dangerous. Actually, I never experienced being “poisoned” but, I heard a lot (overflowing) reminder from my mom about using toxic materials or liquids. Good thing she was there to lecture me about those and gave me an idea on what might happen. Several years ago, when we were watching news, there is a headline wherein there was a child that drunk the chemical that resembles clear water. This chemical was the one that is being used to clean silvers or jewelries. His father left the chemical that is placed on a glass and left it unattended on the table. The child can’t be blamed because he taught that it is just plain water. Unfortunately, after drinking the chemical the child died. And I was like “yah my mom was so right about this” and the good part is that she just don’t remind me, instead she follows a general rule that all toxic or poisonous chemicals must be kept out of reach of children (in case I become too curious and play with them hehehe).

Here are some compiled news from inquirer that shows silver cleaners can cause death and states that it was also the third most commonly swallowed poison among children.

http://newsinfo.inquirer.net/inquirerheadlines/metro/view/20091104-234249/Rise-in-suicides-involving-silver-cleaners-alarms-cops

Other story was when I was in high school. We had a subject called “MAPEH” (H stands for health) wherein our minds were opened and many information where thrown to us about drug abuse. When I got home, I was so excited to discuss it with my father who was having a vacation leave and told him about how addictive it was and how it can affect normal thinking. And there he was nodding and agrees with all I say then suddenly pulled a cigarette and lighted it. And then I laughed and said “what’s the difference between a drug addict and a chain smoker?” and he produced his overacting laugh until it fades away and yet gave me no answer. And as I write this part, I wish he could read this because we never had to chance to discuss about the difference but grateful because we had great laughs. (*misses him so much)

Cigarette=carcinogenic=lung cancer. Benzyprene is the aromatic compound that is used in cigarette and this is known to be a potent carcinogen that has been implicated with lung cancer. Back to my hard headed father, we I mean they (mom and older sisters) force him to stop smoking. They used to sneak and keep the stack of cigarettes (he used to buy cartons of cigarette abroad before he comes home) around the house. And me? Of course I wanted him also to stop, but when we are the only ones who are left in the house, he uses his super begging power for me to reveal even one pack of cigarette and his super hypnotizing power for me to buy him a cigarette and an overwhelming “thank you” from him after the favor has been done. Then I came to realize that my father was so addicted to cigarette although he was aware of the consequences that he might get from smoking. And as time passes by when he came home for good, he learned to regulate his cigarette intake, from 1 pack a day to half pack a day. That was, for us, a great improvement. My father has regular medicines for his heart, and maybe his smoking vise added to his complications. 4 months after he resigned abroad, he died because of heart attack. Of course it was hard for us, be we just looked in the bright side and said “at least God gave us time to be with him for four months straight, and let Him die here beside us”.

And now I have:

Two words for the smokers “Quit NOW”

And two words for those who want to try “Wag nalang” J

http://www.quit-smoking-stop.com/harmful-smoking-effects.html

Drugs= curved life path. I have a cousin who WAS addicted to marijuana. There economic status, well I can say was below middle. Wherein there daily salaries are just enough for the day. If I am not mistaken, he was around 20’s when he abused drugs. Then his parents were suspecting, why does there chickens and some goats are missing, then they found out that my cousin was selling them for marijuana. Marijuana is a mixture of cut, dried, and ground portions of the hemp plant Cannabis sativa. Well, it did not took long for his parents to find out, and as soon as they found out that he was using prohibited drugs, they entered him to a rehabilitation center wherein he stayed there for a few months and got better. As of now, he is living a good life with his own family and learned from his mistakes.

Again,

Two words for the drug addicts “Quit NOW”

And two words for those who want to try “Wag nalang” J

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/exchange/node/1739

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

nice explanation!I'm aware sa content ng cigarettes kaya I hindi ko sinubukan and even gumamit nito!ang mga barkada ko nga pag sinasabihan ko ng a single stick of cigarrete minus 2 hours sa buhay nila. Pero even hindi ka naman naninigarilyo mataas pa rin ang chance na mag kasakit ka if second hand smoker ka naman!kaya payo ko lang dibale nang sabihan kang maarte pag may naninigarilyo nakatakip and ilong mo kaysa pagsisihan mo ang katumbas kung hindi ka nagiingat!

woofer said...

thank you very much for the comment.

Thumbs up! :) kahit anong way para maiwasan ang cigarettes dapat gawin kasi hindi maganda ang consequence. Don's stop reminding other people, baka sakali mapag-isip isip nila hehehe, :)